Nick is a long time coach in the health and fitness industry. He spent the majority of his 1 on 1 coaching working in the rehabilitation setting in close collaboration with physical therapists and other medical providers. It was in this setting that his love and passion for sleep developed. Between the many of his own clients struggling and the seemingly strong link between sleep and recovery time, Nick knew he needed to learn more. He set out on what a multi year long journey to piece together all he could about sleep and more importantly how to apply it with clients.
He instituted sleep coaching as a separate service in the integrated clinic he was working at the time and ended up coaching nearly 100 struggling clients.
He then developed The Online Sleep Coach brand to broaden his reach and take his sleep coaching online. In this capacity, he had the pleasure of coaching individuals of all walks including athletes in the NFL, MLB, NBA, UFC and US Olympic team. He provided consultations for many teams and organizations.
However, Nick had a desire to have even more of an impact on the sleep space. He saw a tremendous void in how coaches and practitioners truly embraced sleep into their process. (Typically just giving a client a sleep hygiene list and having some general conversation). He realized that he needed to help individuals shortcut the process he took to learn about sleep. There was no comprehensive & practical resource for coaches could go to learn all they needed to know about sleep and how improve it with their clients. This is where the mission of the Sleep & Recovery Coaching Course was born.
Nick took over a year to create the course, carefully consulting with an advisory board and many experts in the space. The result is a full certification course that provides all the tools you'll need and that is continually evolving. With over worldwide 500 students already, Nick hopes the course will be a part of a revolution around sleep and how it's viewed in the industry. The course truly is the first of its kind.
To further the mission of spreading sleep knowledge, Nick has created the Sleep EdYOUcation brand which will feature the work of many others in the space.
Outside of the course, Nick runs an education company called COACHED geared towards empowering coaches to address the missing links in the health and fitness industry (communication, collaboration, etc.) The company runs regular events including the Raise the Bar Conference.
On a non education note, Nick is a husband and proud dad to 2 beautiful and amazing girls (Sophie & Maya)
Why Be a Sleep Coach?
We have all seen representations of the 3 pillars of health and wellness being exercise, nutrition, and sleep. However I've been continuously surprised with how little attention sleep gets relative to the other two. Particularly in the world of coaching. Everyone has or knows someone who has worked with a coach on exercise or nutrition but the idea of a sleep coach remains foreign. I find this strange due to the fact that sleep requires the same elements of coach that the others do (guidance, education, and accountability). In addition to that, sleep is arguably more important as it sets the foundation for just about every facet of our health and well being (including exercise and nutrition).
There are no shortage of coaches for exercise or nutrition but you'd be hard pressed to find one for sleep. This is what I aim to change with this certification. It aims to bring sleep more into the coaching forefront while changing the way society prioritizes sleep.
Why Certify as a Sleep Coach?
• Tremendous untapped opportunities. Firstly, roughly half of the population struggles with sleep at some point, some more drastic than others. I would suspect this number to continue to rise as modern society de-emphasizes sleep. Next as mentioned previously, there are so few sleep coaches if any for the adult population. In most cases, people with sleep issues or who just want to take their sleep to the next level are left with 2 options: sleeping pills that come with significant health risk or an online list of sleep hygiene tips. Imagine if we applied that approach to exercise. We would never expect results. The world needs sleep coaches.
• To truly help clients in the missing link to health and wellness, helping them enhance their overall health, their cognitive function, their mood, their body composition, their energy level, motivation, their physical performance and more. Sleep is the lever that enhances it all.
• Differentiation. The fitness, health and wellness fields continue to be incredibly crowded. Sleep coaching provides a unique opportunity to stand out, be different and help those in need.
• Embrace the role of being a healthcare practitioner more involved in the medical community.
• Open up new doors. Due to how much education there needs to be put out on how important sleep is, you'll have many opportunities for speaking engagements and the like as an expert on sleep.
There is certainly a lot of information on sleep out there but through my digging it is lacking in 2 ways:
1. All the information organized and compiled into a comprehensive but easy to follow learning format.
2. A coaching spin to sleep that demonstrates how to practically help people improve their sleep regardless of their situation.
The Sleep and Recovery Coach Course is the comprehensive guide you need to become a sleep expert and play a part in the revolution towards better sleep. In this course you’ll learn:
• The overlooked correlation between sleep, health and performance
• How sleep impacts every single physiological system
• How to effectively assess sleep and look for red flags
• How to practically coach sleep and implement a system of principles you can repeat regardless of who you work with
• How to guide your clients or patients through the process of recovery and adaptation and in turn better results
• The impacts of circadian biology and timing on everything you’re trying to accomplish with your clients
• Strategies to increase and improve your collaboration with other members of the healthcare community and team.
By the end of this course, I promise you that you will have everything that you need to grow your coaching business and create the results and impact you desire.
The only thing you need to worry about now is taking the first step. And by the way, there’s absolutely ZERO risk because if you don’t absolutely love the course after 30 days, I’ll happily refund your money.
What took me years and thousands of dollars to master and perfect, you’re going to learn in the time it takes you to complete this course.
Sleep and Recovery Coach Course Outline
Module One: Why Sleep/Why Sleep Coaching
1.1 Welcome/Intro: Why the emphasis on sleep?
1.2 Sleep, health and the (overlooked) correlation between the two
1.3 How better sleep improves performance and the rehabilitation process
1.4 Sleep, well being and other correlations (memory, immunity, metabolism,)
1.5 Why sleep coaching? Making an impact and getting results
1.6 The 5 pillars: So what does sleep coaching actually look like?
Module Two: Anatomy and Physiology
2.1 The 3 mechanisms for and against sleep (how does sleep occur?)
2.2 Neurology of sleep
2.3 Sleep interplay with all aspects of physiology
2.4 Quality vs. Quantity: What defines healthy sleep? (The 4 Pillars)
2.5 The Antagonist to Sleep: The autonomic nervous system, ascending arousal system and wakefulness
Module Three: Assessment/Screening
3.1 An introduction to the assessment process, role and scope of practice for sleep coaching
3.2 Medical history, introduction to sleep and healthcare collaboration, team members
3.3 Sleep Disorders vs. Disordered Sleeping
3.4 Red Flags
3.5 How to assess your client’s baseline and where should your focus be?
3.6 Sleep trackers, devices, and what you need to know and when to best use them in your coaching
Module 4: The Coaching Process
4.1 The 5 Pillars to Sleep Optimization
4.2 The Bucket Analogy
4.3 Behavioral strategies for sleep (the foundation)
4.4 Intro to Circadian Rhythms: why timing matters
4.5 Methods and coaching strategies to balance the Autonomic Nervous System
4.6 Lifestyle factors and sleep coaching
4.7 Special Considerations and Situations
Module 5: The impacts of Circadian Biology and Application
5.1 Circadian Biology, anatomy and physiology, understanding of rhythms
5.2. How chronotypes and genetics affect timing in health and performance
5.3. The 5 circadian levers and influence
5.4 Synchronization Strategies
5.5 Practical Coaching Applications
• Sports performance
• General population
• Body composition
Module 6: Recovery and Regeneration
6.1 Introduction and importance of recovery/adaptation
6.2 Assessment and determining recovery status
6.3 Heart Rate Variability and applications
6.4 Active Recovery Strategies
6.5 Behavior change, mindset and lifestyle recovery
6.6 Ways to implement recovery strategies into your coaching
Module 7: Marketing and Opportunities
7.1 The Landscape for Sleep Coaching (possibilities)
7.2 How to implement sleep coaching in your practice (separately or adjunct)
7.3 Marketing Categories: Who, where and how to connect and find opportunities
7.4 How to initiate contact and collaborate with healthcare professionals
7.5 Course summary: Putting it all together
Module 8: Bonus Section
• Bonus material and additional review (tying the material together)
• Sleep difference in men vs. women, sleep products and supplements, financial impact of sleep, sleep disorders deeper dive, 10 point sleep tracking system, art of coaching, other practical applications
• Content expert interviews and contributions (breathwork, dental/airway perspective, myofunctional therapy, conditioning, motivational interviewing)
There will be the opportunity upon completing the course to become a “Certified Sleep and Recovery Coach” This will be done by completing 2 case studies provided within the course and 2 case studies working with your own clients.
Benefits to Certification:
• Increased credibility and perceived level of expertise
• Branding and differentiation
• Additional stream of revenue
• Easier to secure collaborations and network
I built this for you. I built this for me when I got into coaching. There was no roadmap. I would’ve done anything to have access to this knowledge, experts, and proven system. It took me years to master and thousands of dollars, but after sticking with it I finally put together the winning recipe for creating the coaching results and impact I wanted when I started. I have coached countless individuals of all walks from seniors to professional athletes to better sleep and I'm sharing my proven system. Now I’m pulling back the curtain and showing you exactly what to do, what you need to know about sleep, and how to create amazing results for yourself and your clients. This course gives you everything you need to separate yourself from the noise and competitive coaching space.
Don't waste another day, month or year going through the motions and leaving results on the table for your clients. Guide your clients to sleep and recovery and don't learn the lessons the hard way like I had to!