Hi! My name is Michelle Read. I am a certified Sleep Sense Consultant and mother of two grown boys.
I can well remember the struggles I had especially with my firstborn. He cried a lot and every time he did, I fed him. It’s a wonder he didn’t pop from being overfed! I also remember standing over the crib holding the pacifier in his mouth, praying that he would just fall back asleep. Those early days were hard and because I was not getting adequate rest, I felt overwhelmed most of the time. But what I have learned over the years is that it doesn’t have to be that way. Your child can learn to sleep well and independently!
I was an elementary school teacher for over 24 years and realized soon after that I wanted to still work with children, somehow. I have been a nanny, a tutor and a night nanny for newborns. As I work with the parents of little ones, they continue to ask me, “How can we get our baby to sleep better and longer?” So, I researched answers to those questions and learned there is a whole science to baby sleep and that I could become a pediatric sleep consultant.
I am passionate about helping tired parents and their babies get better sleep. Let me help you on this journey!
Tired of Being Tired?
Trying to find a solution to your baby’s sleep problems can often feel overwhelming. When your little one does not nap well or wakes several times in the night, you often don’t have the energy to research and find the answers you need. What you do can have a great impact on your child’s sleep habits for years to come.
Let Me Help
• Together we will teach your baby to self-soothe and break any bad sleep prop tendencies promoting independent sleep.
• We will build a consistent routine setting healthy expectations for you and your baby.
The Sleep Sense Philosophy
My certification is through The Sleep Sense™ Program which advocates that healthy sleep habits make for healthy children. Consolidated sleep increases brain power, attention span, and repairs the immune system. A well-rested child is curious, energetic, playful, and eager to learn!
While most sleep training programs and books take philosophical stands (based largely around the issue of “crying it out”), I believe that your child’s sleep is more intricate than that. I place more emphasis on accommodating your parenting styles within The Sleep Sense™ Program.
Will my child cry? Probably.
Crying is your child’s way of protesting change, and you can expect that making changes to their sleep habits will result in some protest. That’s why I’m always sure to tell parents that my program will most likely involve at least some amount of protest on the child’s part, yet it is temporary and achieving a greater good in providing independent sleep skills for your little one.
I will never ask you to leave your child alone to cry, nor will I ask you to ignore his cries. The reason that The Sleep Sense™ Program is so effective is that it allows you to develop a plan that you feel comfortable with, based on what you know about your child.
A great night’s sleep for your whole family could be just a few nights away!
There are many benefits to my sleep programs:
• First and most importantly, you get my guarantee that we will with your committment and consistency, reach your sleep goals.
• By getting a detailed snapshot of your child’s sleep habits, bedtime routine, temperament, and schedule, I’ll be able to create a sleep plan that is 100% customized to fit YOUR family’s needs.
• A private consultation where we’ll discuss strategies, troubleshoot possible problems, and learn how to address bedtime, naptime, night-waking, or any other specific issues you might be dealing with.
• A detailed, fully customized sleep plan in writing will be provided to you at the conclusion of our meeting.
• A sleep log that you will fill in so that I can daily monitor your child’s sleep progress making changes if needed.
Newborn Program (0-12 Weeks Old)
This package provides expectant parents or parents of newborns the sleep education and tools they need to help their wee ones to sleep independently and for longer consolidated time. (Usually around 6-8 weeks)
• A preliminary questionnaire about your newborn and his sleep habits and routines. (or your sleep goals if expecting)
• A detailed nursery guide to make your baby’s room perfect for sleep when you are ready to move baby.
• A one-on-one consultation through Google Meet. (60 mins) We will discuss strategies for bedtime, wakings, naps and any other concerns you may have.
• Follow up support consists of 4 check-in phone calls over a period of 3 weeks and unlimited texts (answered within 4 hours)
Baby Program (4-17 Months Old)
This package is for parents who want to help their baby sleep longer at night with less wakings. Also, short naps and developmental milestones will be addressed.
• A preliminary questionnaire about your baby and his sleep habits and routines.
• A detailed and customized sleep plan that addresses your child’s specific needs.
• A one-on-one consultation (90 minutes) through Google Meet. We will discuss the sleep plan in detail as well as what to do when your baby wakes up in the night. We will also cover naps, bedtime routine, and any other concerns you may have.
• Follow up support includes 4 scheduled phone calls over a period of 3 weeks, sleep log monitoring, and unlimited text support (answered within 4 hours)
• Resource Guide to help you navigate illness, teething, nap transitions, and travel.
Toddler Program (18 Months+)
This package is for the toddler or preschooler up to 5 years of age who is struggling with staying in her own bed, waking up multiple times at night and having short naps. It is never too late to teach independent sleep skills!
• A preliminary questionnaire about your child’s sleep habits and routines.
• A detailed sleep plan customized to address your child’s specific sleep needs.
• A one-on-one consultation (90+ minutes) through Google Meet. We will discuss the sleep plan in detail as well as strategies for naps, night wakings and a bedtime routine. We will also address any other concerns you may have.
• Follow up support includes 4 scheduled phone calls over a period of 1 month, sleep log monitoring, and unlimited text support (answered within 4 hours)
• Resource Guide to help you navigate illness, teething, and travel.
Mini Coaching Session
• Designed to address one specific issue such as early morning wake-ups, short naps or how to establish a bedtime(or naptime) routine.
• Begins with a brief intake questionnaire
• 30 Minute scheduled phone call
If you’d like to get in touch with me to book a free consultation or reserve a sleep program for your child, please contact me directly.